If you are a huge green bean monster, you will fall in love with haricot vert and never look back. Haricot vert is French for “green bean” (Haricot=bean; vert=green) and the variety is slender and far more tender than the American variety you see in the grocery store. This recipe makes enough for two entrées or a splendid side dish for your next dinner party.
- 1 package Haricot Vert
- 5 garlic cloves ~ sliced very thinly
- 1/2-1 block organic tofu, firm ~ all liquid pressed out, crumbled into desired size (see how-to notes in instructions)
- white wine (I use chardonnay)
- cooking oil
- sea salt ~ to taste
- black pepper ~ to taste
- red pepper flakes ~ optional
- Remove all the liquid from the tofu block by hand-squeezing it. You can also weigh down the tofu with a heavy object on top; sometimes I use a mortar (“bowl” part of the mortar-and-pestle combo). Be sure to use a dinner plate to catch all the liquid. Let the liquid drain while you go about the next few steps.
- Thoroughly rinse and drain the beans.
- In a large stainless steel pan, heat some oil on medium-high heat.
- Check on the tofu and remove any excess liquid by hand-squeezing it. Set aside.
- Sautée the garlic slices until aromatic and golden-brown.
- Add the beans and cook the beans for about 5 minutes.
- Splash a little wine into the pan and quickly cover with a lid. The wine creates steam, which helps cook the beans. Check the beans periodically. Remove from the stove when your beans are cooked to the desired texture.
- Place the cooked beans in a large serving bowl; add sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and other spices that you desire; crumble the tofu. Gently mix with a spatula.
- Serve hot and garnish with pepper flakes.
You may have noticed on the photo that “luluesque.wordpress.com” is now “luluesque.com“—I am currently working on revamping my website. 🙂 It’s a very long process, but it’s an exciting journey. The revamped website will not only include updated and improved recipes, but also some fun DIY project ideas for you and your kiddos! Additionally, the illustrations and paintings that I sell on Etsy will be available directly on this website for download. Stickers, tote bags, and t-shirts designed by yours truly will also be available here as well. Thank you for your patience! 🙂