I don’t even recall how many failed attempts I’ve had in all my years of baking and searching for the “Ultimate Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie.” I eventually—I am ashamed to admit this—bought store-bought baked cookies (always a great disappointment) or the Pillsbury or Tollhouse packages that you just pop in the oven. Folks, I am happy to say my search is over and this recipe is JUST.SO.DARN.DELISH. to not share it with the world…and *SHHH*, this stays between us “health nuts” and adults…I am using organic whole wheat flour! YES. Mwahahahahaha -insert purple smiley devil face emoji-.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 TSP sea salt
- 1/2 cup (one 4oz stick) unsalted butter ~ soft, room temperature (iIMPORTANT: NOT hot or melted)
- 1 large free range organic egg
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1/2 TSP baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup (12oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Leave the wrapped butter in a dish, at room temperature, for a few hours.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, and soft butter, until you get a smooth light yellow paste.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda, then very gently fold the mixture with a spatula. Do not overmix the dough, as this will result in cakey cookies.
- Fold in the chips and gently distribute evenly with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop out 12 cookie dough balls and place them on parchment, allowing about 4″ between each cookie and 2″ from the edges.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until the edges start to turn light golden brown.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving with a nice tall glass of cold milk OR a cup of hot tea. ENJOY!