I often want to purchase those cute little hand-crafted doggie treats at the farmer’s market, but then I’m awakened by the sound of a broken piggy bank. Some of these treats are a bit costly! I decided it would be a fun DIY project with the kiddos. I found this healthy recipe on Epicurious and used all organic ingredients and the fresh mint from my microgarden.
This is thankfully not a very messy project as the dough is on the drier side. The kids really enjoyed making different shapes with the dough. We packed the biscuits into individual sandwich baggies, and the kids drew gift tags and wrote out the recipe for their friends that also have dogs. I can’t say that our furry family members had fresh breath after these treats, but they certainly went nuts for them! Enjoy! 🙂
Makes about 3-5 dozen biscuits.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 large egg
- Pulse together all the dry ingredients in a food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal with pea-size butter lumps. Add 1 cup water and pulse until a coarse, dense dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in parsley and mint until well distributed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven.
- Roll out dough about 1/3 inch thick on a well-floured surface with a well-floured rolling pin. (If dough becomes too soft to roll out, wrap in plastic and chill until firm.) Cut out as many biscuits as possible and arrange about 1/4 inch apart on a greased (or lined with parchment) baking sheet. Repeat until most of the dough has been used. You can also make hand-shaped biscuits with extra dough. Be sure to make all the biscuits about the same size and thickness for even baking.
- Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush biscuits with egg wash.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes, switching position of sheets halfway through, until tops are golden brown. Baking times will vary. Our biscuits baked between 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool on racks for about 1 hour. Store in airtight jars.