‘Tis the season for cranberries and the holidays are the perfect time to do some baking! A “cranberry muffin” Google search yielded a nice selection of recipes for inspiration. This Cream Cheese Cranberry Muffin recipe from Taste of Home, in particular, caught my eye; it had me at “cream cheese.” 🙂
These are amazingly dense and moist, reminding me of poundcake—but with a nicely balanced addition of sweetness and tartness. I find them delicious with a cup of tea or coffee at breakfast or with a glass of milk in the afternoon.
NOTE: I modified the recipe ever so slightly by 1) using as many organic ingredients as possible, 2) replacing 1/2 cup pecans with 1/2 cup dried cranberries, and 3) replaced 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup Greek yogurt.
INGREDIENTS: Yields 10-12 mini bundt cakes or large muffins.
- organic vegetable oil ~ I’m using coconut/canola oil blend
- 1/2 cup organic butter (1 stick) ~ softened
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese ~ softened
- 1 & 1/2 cups organic evaporate cane sugar
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons organic vanilla
- 2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour ~ I’m using King Arthur brand
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh (or frozen) cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, yogurt, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until you get a smooth batter.
- Stir in the dry ingredients from step #2 into the batter, just until moistened.
- Gently fold in fresh and dried cranberries.
- Grease your mini nonstick bundt cake pans with oil by using a silicone brush.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon into the empty bundt pans. Fill each cup three-fourths full. Alternatively, you can use giant muffin tins as well.
- Sprinkle some more cinnamon on the batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cakes comes out clean.
You must be logged in to post a comment.