This recipe is a combination of two similar recipes that I found from my cookbooks: Vegetarian and 400 Soups, both of which were treasure finds in the bargain section of Barnes & Noble ages ago. It is bound to kill any virus residing in your little body. 😉
It’s packed with potent anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerol. One of the main ingredients is the ginger root which boosts the immune system, aides digestion, curbs nausea and vomiting, acts as an anti-inflammatory, and protects against cancer cells. What more could you ask for from this pungent, versatile root? 🙂
Enjoy! If the soup is too spicy for your taste buds, let it simmer an extra 10 minutes and/or add some milk/cream to it.
- 8-10 cups filtered water
- Organic EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 large yellow onion ~ peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 bulb garlic ~ peeled, smashed
- 1 organic sweet potato ~ roughly chopped into chunks, leave skin on
- 1.5 lbs organic carrots ~ roughly chopped into chunks, leave skin on
- 2 large stalks organic celery ~ roughly chopped into chunks
- 5 inch ginger root ~ roughly chopped into chunks, leave skin on
- organic curly or Italian parsley (optional) ~ big stems discarded, coarsely chopped; reserve some for garnish
- 1-2 scallions ~ ends removed, chopped; reserve some for garnish
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper ~ to taste
- evaporated cane sugar ~ to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat the EVOO on medium-high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until browned.
- Add sweet potato, carrots, ginger, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes on same heat level. Add more oil if necessary.
- Add water. Bring to a rolling boil for about 5 minutes. Be sure your pot doesn’t boil over. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in sea salt, sugar, and any spices/seasonings you desire.
- Place lid on the pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the pot from the stove. Use a hand blender to purée the soup. I opted for a semi-chunky texture.
- Stir in some parsley and scallions.
- Serve hot. Garnish with parsley & scallions.