Florence fennel (also known as Finocchio) was one of three major ingredients used in making Absinthe, an alcoholic beverage which originated as a medicinal elixir in Switzerland. It has a lovely aroma of star anise, a hint of sweet licorice and is touted as one of the best “au naturel” breathe fresheners.
- 1 bulb Florence Fennel ~ thinly sliced (save the feathery foliage for garnishing)
- 1 ruby red grapefruit ~ peeled; pith & white membrane removed
- 5-6 medium-large red radishes ~ thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chilled white (or rose) wine
- dash sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly toss all the ingredients together in a medium-large salad serving bowl.
- Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and a sprig of the feathery leaves.
- You might also like to coarsely chop the leaves and add it to the salad. Voila! Simple, nutritious, delicious.